Summer has always been my favorite. My kid friends are out of school and my days consist of swimming, eating and sleeping. Now as far as the garden goes, there is always work to be done.
Plan & Plant – We are always planning. but now is the time to plan your spring bulbs. And at the same time plant your summer color (marigolds and zinnias are some of my favs). Our Planters Mix is the best choice for your summer color. To add art to your yard, with a stock tank container (I love the round one). It is easy to move and place in your design.
Maintain – Mulch/Bark your area around your garden ( I prefer walk-on bark for my paws). This will keep moisture in, roots cool and dust down. Plus it will look amazing. We have many varieties and colors to choose from.
Be sure to check your watering schedule as our temperature creeps up. And don’t forget your hand watering containers.
Pinch off your herbs so they will keep producing. Check your feeding schedule for your strawberries. We all love shortcake!
Harvest – It is about that time. Morning is the best time to pick that yummy food. Keep your eye out for rodents and the pesky snakes, they may like the morning too. Clean up any fallen fruit to avoid the rodent and squirrel issue. Make up a feast with your tomatoes, peppers and basil – my mouth is drooling already.
And as always – Happy Digging!
We all love to decorate our homes. But how about our outdoor portions of our homes? Adding a different rock, a colored bark, a courtyard wall, or new paving stone patio. Ahhh the possibilities that are available to you humans….
* Let’s start basic- Rock- The shape of the rock, do you want a round rock or a crushed (jagged) rock? Next is the size. Rock can be as large as Cobble Rock that is 2″ to 4″ or 5″ to 12″ in size. And as small as a small as a path fines (1/4″ minus) or decomposed granite. The size you choose mainly depends on it’s function. A walkway requires a small size for safety reasons. A 3/8″, 3/4″ or 1/1/2″ makes for a great ground cover. The larger cobble rocks are ideal for river beds. Now don’t even get me started on boulders….. and the colors of rocks!
* Bark aka Mulch – A Bark/Mulch can be a chip product, a fibrous product or a nugget shaped product. The function of bark can be to keep your plants warm at night, moisture close to the soil and weed control. It is light and easy to install. It can add a pop of color and texture change to your decor. A win-win for my owners!
* Paving Stones- This can create an actual patio for my little paws to walk on. Pavers come in a variety of sizes with the smallest one starting at a 4 1/2″x6″ and now the largest one is 24″x 24″. Boy does this make a difference on the design. You can go with a textured finish (Quarry Stone) that is multi colored for a Mediterranean flair. Or if modern is your jam, look for the smooth finish of the Mission Paver. The looks are incredible!
* Walls ~ I do love a nice wall to walk on and keep watch on what’s going on. You can create a wall as a courtyard accent. A wall is something to define a space and welcome you in. If you need an actual retaining wall to hold back the earth, look at the Geo Wall or Allen Block series for this function. And you can even customize a wall more, you can face a flat wall manufactured stone, thus adding an amazing flair!
Your decor is YOUR decor. And as for color, we all see color different, (we dogs are color blind!) and we do have samples. Maybe you need to take a sample baggie of material, a sample board of manufactured stone or look at our paver selection boards. What ever your decor, we are here to explore. Happy Digging!
Now there is Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, May day, wedding day and graduation day~ when will it be my day? I think everyday should be dog day. With digging to be done, and all the laying around I do……hmmmm. But you humans get things ready for every event.
* The Party is happening soon….In that case, just drive on over and pick up a yard or two of bark. It is easy to install, and makes a huge difference in your hard.
* My yard is not that big…..Is the square footage of your back yard equal to the size of your family room and kitchen? If so, you can still turn it into a backyard living area. Remove that grass, and add some hardscape (pavers, flagstone, rock). Keep some live/green areas- it could be in the form of potted plants or some planting areas. It is always nice by a window: you can see it and smell it easier!
* But I really want…It all! It’s oasis time – Start now for your Fall/Autumn events. Decide on your design plan and material selection. Decide what you can do yourself and what you need help with. Make a plan. We carry many of the materials you want to make it happen….just contact us.
And above all, don’t forget about your furry friend….me…Happy Digging!