Green Lawn Envy
To sit and gaze at my dog-nation surroundings on a freshly sodded area is one of my favorite things. With sod blends developed right here in Northern California, focusing on drought and disease resistance along with excellent color and texture. Here are a few tips when installing sod.
- Remove and kill existing lawn. Make sure you have your irrigation marked to eliminate damage.
- Mix (rototill) in new soil, my owners recommend planters mix. Figure out your soil based on square footage at 4 inches deep.
- If you irrigation is installed, mark it to avoid damage. Test it and make any necessary repairs.
- Rake soil till smooth; make the soil level one inch below sidewalk level. Use a roller to ensure all low and high spots are smoothed out. Once soil is amended and leveled, add Mission Grow Fertilizer (granulated) on top.
- ORDER YOUR SOD 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE FROM MY OWNERS – YOU WANT IT FRESH!
- Start laying your sod from the back at the longest straight line, work forward and try not to step on sod.Trim to fit edges, but avoid cutting small pieces to fit in spots.
- Use the roller again to help with sod contact with the soil. Once completed try to stay off for two weeks. Set your timer for watering (between midnight and 5am). Your first mowing will be approximately two weeks later.
Enjoy your lush green surrounds, Happy digging!